As the temperatures start to rise, our air conditioners get a workout. AC units work hard to keep us cool, and they need regular maintenance to stay in good working condition. Many people forget about their AC unit until it breaks down, but by then it’s often too late. Regular AC maintenance service can help you avoid costly repairs and ensure that your AC unit is always running at peak performance.
Here are some tips for maintaining your AC unit:
- Check the filters monthly and replace them as needed: This is one of the most important things you can do to maintain your AC unit. Dirty filters can cause several problems, including decreased efficiency and reduced airflow. Replace your filters every month or as needed to keep your AC unit running smoothly.
- Keep the area around your AC unit clean and free of debris: It’s important to keep the area around your AC unit clean and free of debris. Leaves, dirt, and dust can all clog up the unit and reduce its efficiency. Once a week, take a few minutes to clear away any debris that has accumulated around your AC unit.
- Schedule annual maintenance: In addition to monthly filter changes and quarterly check-ups, you should also have your AC unit serviced by a professional once a year. Annual maintenance can help you avoid major repairs and keep your unit running smoothly all season long.
- Check the ductwork: If your AC unit is connected to ductwork, it’s important to have the ducts inspected and cleaned regularly. Dirty ducts can cause several problems, including decreased airflow and reduced efficiency. Schedule a duct cleaning every year or as needed to keep your AC unit running at peak performance.
- Invest in a programmable thermostat: A programmable thermostat can help you save money on energy costs by allowing you to set the temperature for when you’re home and when you’re away. Many people forget to adjust their thermostat when they leave for work or go on vacation, but a programmable thermostat makes it easy to set the temperature for when you’re home and when you’re away.
- Be sure to change your batteries: If your AC unit uses batteries, be sure to change them regularly. Batteries can leak and cause damage to your unit if they’re not changed regularly. Check the batteries monthly and replace them as needed.
- Check for leaks: Leaks can occur in any type of AC unit, so it’s important to check for them regularly. If you notice any leaks, have them repaired immediately to avoid further damage.
- Keep an eye on the condensate drain: The condensate drain is responsible for draining away water that has condensed inside your AC unit. If the drain becomes clogged, it can cause water damage to your unit. Clean the condensate drain every month or as needed to prevent problems.
- Inspect the outdoor unit: The outdoor unit of your AC unit is exposed to the elements and can become damaged over time. Inspect the unit monthly or as needed for any signs of damage. If you notice any damage, have it repaired immediately to avoid further problems.
By following these tips, you can keep your AC unit running smoothly all season long. Regular maintenance is the key to keeping your AC unit in good working condition. If you neglect your AC unit, it will eventually break down and need expensive repairs. Don’t wait until your AC unit breaks down to schedule maintenance. By then, it will be too late. Schedule a maintenance appointment today!
Total Heating, Cooling & Electrical is a full-service HVAC company that has been providing quality service to the Leonard, MI area for several years. We offer a wide range of services, including AC repair, AC installation, furnace repair, and much more. Our team of experienced technicians is dedicated to providing quality service and 100% customer satisfaction. Contact us today at 248-969-9100 to schedule a maintenance appointment!